الأحد، 16 أغسطس 2020

Should/can/could and why don’t/let’s

Form, Meaning and Function

Suggestions

Use should and shouldn’t to ask for and give suggestions.

A: What should we do tonight? 
A: Should I buy this racing bike? 

B: I don’t know, but we shouldn’t stay home.
B: No, you should buy the mountain bike.

Use can and could to give possible suggestions.
A: What should I cook for dinner? 
A: Let’s go to the park this afternoon. 

B: You could make spaghetti.
B: That’s a good idea. We can have a picnic.

Note
Can and can’t are also used for ability or inability.
A: Can you go out tonight? B: Sorry, I can’t. I have to study.

Use Why don’t…? and Let’s to give suggestions.
A: Why don’t we order a pizza?
A: Let’s go to the park. 

B: No. Let’s eat out instead.
B: OK. Why don’t we take our bikes?

To accept suggestions, we say: OK; That’s a good idea; Sure; All right; or That sounds good.
To politely refuse suggestions, we say: Sorry, I can’t; Let’s… instead.


from ثمرات اللغة Language Thamarat https://ift.tt/3g7bgFQ
via IFTTT

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق